Oct 28, 2012

Tie-front tee DIY!


So when we were in Holland this April, I wanted to get a tshirt. Unfortunately, the place where I bought mine had the shirts folded into plastic packages, and I couldn't open them to see how big the tshirts were.
So when I finally bought and opened the package, the shirt was waaaay too big.
Boo.
But! I decided I could fix it with a restyle, so s'all good! :)

And yes, it has taken me six months to get around to it.
Whatever.

Here's the Before & After! 
(These pics were only taken 1 day apart. And yes, that *is* snow. In October. Welcome to Minnesota.)


I recently found this shirt at a second hand store, and decided to use it as my inspiration:


Want to make your own tie-front shirt? Here's how I did it!


I used a white colored pencil (finally! A use for those things!) to draw out the shape I wanted, using a ruler to make sure it was even and centered.


And then: scary part! Snip snip. 



Then I turned the shirt inside out, folded over the raw edges, pinned and sewed all the way around.


For the collar I just cut off the existing one, and pinned and sewed the raw edge.


While the shirt was inside out, I sewed up the sides to take them in a bit. And then I sewed the opening of the sleeve a little smaller, giving it that "bat-wing" shape which is so popular. And finally I cut off the extra fabric.


And wa-la! My inspiration, and my finished product:



Now I can finally wear my souvenir for more than pjs! Yay!

Have you ever restyled something? 

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! Girl, what a great idea. I'm totally trying this out next weekend with some baggy shirts I don't like wearing. Thank you so much for the idea!
    (:
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inna!! This is AMAZING!!! I usually use a hair-tie to make my baggy shirts not-so-baggy, but I think I'm going to change that!!

    www.nannaandnilly.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! It makes a t-shirt look so much girlier(apparently that's not a word?!) I'm definitely gonna try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is spectacular!!! I will definitely be trying. :)

    ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! Looks super fun :) And yes, I have done lots of restylings, and still not tired of them! And already snowing over there? (Waw, I'm so happy I don't live in Minnesota right now. I couldn't stand the cold!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did restyle something, but it failed miserably.

    That, however, is cute.

    Pardon me while I go steal it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really really clever! I'm pinning this. Thanks for the post!

    ~Aubrey
    www.projectlovegood.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute! I love restyling. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!